Thursday, July 28, 2011

Three Grave Stones Identified

Just the other day I posted some pictures emailed to me by my uncle, and some were very hard to read. One looked like it said Ruth, and it did. But it is not the grave of Ruth. I returned to a site I used so many years ago to find my Missouri-Duncan information, but never got around to documenting the rest of the family and these two were both listed and documented some time ago. They are both in Mineral Springs Cemetery, Barry County, Missouri.



William H. Duncan 1872-1892
As you can see, it's getting very hard to read it. Which is why I am once again so grateful to those who came before me, and recorded things. I have never met or talked to the people who provided this information. Looks like I will have to do that soon, so they know how much their efforts are appreciated.
This is the Page where the entry can be found. You'd have to scroll down to W.H. Duncan. and you can click on their photo of the same stone. the two toned nature of the stone is also seen in their photo. They also took the time to highlight the markings and identify the person here.

The info they added to this marker was this:
Inscription: "Son of P. H. & Ruth" - Research Note: In 1880 Peter H. and Ruth Duncan were living in Lyon, Cherokee Co., KS and William H. Duncan was 8 years old, born in KS.
This other stone and info can be found on the same page as William H. Duncan. and this is what the researchers there  found out about her:
Research Note: Culver's Chapel Records read that her parents were Ruben and Elizabeth Starkey. She lived on Eagle Rock Star Route, Cassville, MO.


DUNCAN, Lillie Amanda (STARKEY) b. Sep. 26, 1890. AR  d. Sept. 15, 1973 Home, Barry Co., MO.
I will have to see if I can find out more about her. The way her name and dates is just etched really haunts me. They may not have had the money to get it engraved properly, but they thought enough of her to give her a big pretty stone (even though it looks like it was taken right from the ground and not modified much.  

The third stone I posted was easy to read.
Robert Bruce Duncan b. Nov 26, 1885  d. July 9, 1956
I believe this is Robert Bruce Duncan, son of Peter Hutsell Duncan and Ruth McCleur (McClure) Duncan. I really hadn't recorded much on him yet, as I hadn't really traced the other descendants much, but I know I've seen his name numerous times, and may have more information on him if I just dig a bit. 
The researchers who posted this didn't have anything else to add. Just added the dates provided on the stone. 
I just read over an email one of my uncles sent me back in October. He refers to a Bob and Mandy Duncan in his memories. I bet that's this Robert and Amanda! 
Here is what he says:
"The story I remember is that Peter was an Oklahoma circuit court judge and settled what was called "The Old Home Place" down at the bottom of the mountains before it became Mo. When I was six, we lived in a house that was converted to a duplex with Aunt Alberta, Laddie, Joanne and Jerry Owen that was by the Mark Twain forest tower on Hwy 76 about 10 miles N of Cassville. Dad was working for the CCC and often used his '30 Cheve as a fire truck. Grand dad's place was about a 1/4 mile S of the tower. When I started school, I walked down the mountain to a school that was on the corner of the old home place that at that time was occupied by Bob and Mandy Duncan. I think the school was called Minden. Bob's son's, William and Thomas were also in the school and were a bit older than me. Joanne saw them a few years back and says they are true to type. (Overalls and no underwear!) The last time I was down there, the tower and the house we lived in were still there. (Mom said she took me up in the tower when I was 1.) Someone was living in the school and Grand dad's house had been replaced with a new house. He had a strawberry patch on the home place and I remember going down to pick berries with him. Also there was no well on his place so he often had to haul water up the mountain with his '27 White truck. He had a sorghum press (Two large rollers, long pole, harness the mule to the pole.) and a huge pan up under the hickory tree for boiling down the sorghum and grandmother would dig sassafras roots and make tea that I hated. Before we moved to the duplex, we lived for a time in a log cabin at the corner of hwy 78 and M, several miles S of Grand dad's place. We did not stay there long, as I remember living with Lena and attending a country school near Monett by Christmas of that year, then going to a school in Monett before finishing the school year in Maple Hill."

 

1 comment:

  1. Interesting stuff, Sandy! I have my on again off again genealogy kick. I know it takes a lot of thought to develop a blog post....so keep going! It will be a great help to someone who stumbles across it later on...I also know that it takes a whole mess of information you've collected and helps you produce something comprehensive out of it all. Thanks for "liking" my studio page!

    ReplyDelete